Fan Content Policy
You want to use or share content from a Crystal Dynamics game? Fantastic! Crystal Dynamics is truly honored when fans are personally invested in our work. All we ask is that you read and abide by the guidelines and other terms in this Fan Content Policy (the “Policy”).
Which Games Does This Policy Apply To?
This Policy applies only to Crystal Dynamics Material (as defined below) in or related to (a) games published by Crystal Dynamics or (b) games that expressly incorporate this Policy (collectively, the “Crystal Dynamics Games”). To be clear, this Policy does not apply to games published by Crystal Dynamics’s affiliates (such as Eidos Interactive or other companies within the Embracer Group) or by other third parties (like Amazon) unless those games expressly incorporate this Policy.
What is Fan Content?
“Fan Content” is content or objects (such as artwork, photographs, videos, or sculptures) that you create and that is based on or incorporates Crystal Dynamics Material.
What is Crystal Dynamics Material?
“Crystal Dynamics Material” is copyrighted or other content in or related to a Crystal Dynamics Game. Copyrighted content generally includes things like text, images, videos, source and object code, characters, gameplay, plots, locations, histories, and other audiovisual content.
What are the Guidelines for Fan Content?
Please abide by the following guidelines when creating, distributing, or otherwise using Fan Content:
- No Commercial Use: Do not use Crystal Dynamics Materials or Fan Content to make money or gain material benefit for yourself or others. This means, among other things, that you can’t sell Crystal Dynamics Materials or Fan Content (including fan-made merchandise) and that you can’t use Crystal Dynamics Materials or Fan Content to help sell other products or services. Similarly, you can’t require payment to view or access Crystal Dynamics Materials or Fan Content (e.g., no paywalls).
Create away – but no selling your content for profit, please!
There is, however, an exception for monetizing videos and websites. For Fan Content videos, as long as your videos are not paywalled, you’re welcome to monetize your content via advertising through platform-operated programs on YouTube, Twitch, Mixer, and other similar services, at our sole discretion. In the same vein, you may run ads on your personal website that showcases your sweet Fan Content.
- Related Use Only: Do not use Crystal Dynamics Materials in content that is unrelated to Crystal Dynamics Games.
- Only Crystal Dynamics-Owned Content: Some Crystal Dynamics Games contain content that Crystal Dynamics doesn’t own. You’ll often be able to recognize this—for example, Crystal Dynamics didn’t own the Marvel characters in Marvel’s Avengers—but we understand it won’t always be clear. If you include non-Crystal Dynamics content in your Fan Content (even if it was in the original Crystal Dynamics Game), your Fan Content could be subject to takedown notices by the owner of the original work. Since we cannot grant you a license to use someone else’s content, you’ll need to get permission from the copyright owner(s) before using their content. Try to be mindful of who owns the intellectual property (copyright, etc.) your work is inspired by, and know that you’re subject to their fan content policies as well.
- Attribution: If you use Crystal Dynamics Materials, you should mention that they belong to us. If the Crystal Dynamics Materials include any credits or legal lines, do not remove or alter them.
- Disclaimer Display: It must be made clear that your Fan Content is not sponsored or endorsed by Crystal Dynamics.
There’s no limit to the incredible projects our community has spearheaded in the past, from epic fan films to recreations of our games in Unreal Engine. It could be easy for some folks to misinterpret some of your massive projects as official Crystal Dynamics content, so make sure when sharing your Fan Content online you disclaim that it’s an “unofficial” project.
- No Unreleased Content: You must not post or distribute unreleased content from a Crystal Dynamics Game, especially prior to the official release of the game. This includes leaked content, content released in advance of an embargo or release date, or content otherwise obtained without Crystal Dynamics’s permission. Crystal Dynamics treats pre-release leaks very seriously; you may receive a copyright “strike” or suffer other consequences if you violate this guideline.
But why, you ask? We work really hard to keep content under wraps until the right time so that when we’re finally able to share with you all, we can make it a Big Deal! But, sometimes, leaks happen. If unreleased content ever makes it online in advance of an embargo or release date, please do not create Fan Content around the material.
- Spoilers: Spoilers are no fun, and they can really ruin a player’s game experience. We ask that you please be considerate when posting content (including Fan Content) that may contain spoilers. Most platforms have tools that let you mark your content as spoiler-y, and we encourage you to take advantage of those features, as well as utilizing dedicated spoiler channels on forums or our Discord communities.
- No Unauthorized Use or Copying: This Policy is an informal guideline, but you still have to follow the formal terms of our software licenses and other agreements (including the Terms of Service at https://www.crystald.com/legal/terms/). This means, among other things, that you cannot copy, reverse engineer, distribute, or do anything else with game software that would breach the applicable license or agreement.
- No Cheating, Hacking, Exploits, or Piracy: Your Fan Content may not appear on, link to, describe, or otherwise promote (i) cheats, hacks, or other exploits or (ii) piracy.
- Fansites: We love them! You may create and/or run community websites and other fan pages but do not use the name of Crystal Dynamics, Crystal Dynamics’s trademarks/logos, our game titles, or anything similar in your domain names, usernames, or URLs. Any references you make to Crystal Dynamics’s games or brands, such as Tomb Raider, must also include additional terms stating it is not affiliated with Crystal Dynamics, such as ‘Unofficial’ or ‘Fan Page’, etc.
- Don’t Be Offensive: Celebrating our differences is at the core of who we are as a studio, so we have a zero-tolerance policy for any Fan Content that could appear to be offensive, obscene, racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, hateful, harassing, defamatory, deceptive, derogatory, controversial, or otherwise inappropriate or illegal. Don’t use Crystal Dynamic Materials in a manner that may damage Crystal Dynamics or its products or brands.
- Additional or Updated Guidelines: This is a living policy, and we might update it from time to time! Individual Crystal Dynamics Games may be subject to different or additional guidelines (such guidelines could be provided in the game itself, on the game’s website, or in another publicly accessible location); if so, please abide by those guidelines. If Crystal Dynamics issues you individualized written guidelines, you must abide by those guidelines. We might update these guidelines from time to time; check this Policy regularly to review any changes.
Violation of these guidelines is the most common reason we might object to your use of Crystal Dynamics Material, but this list is not exhaustive. Please use common sense and act responsibly.
Since every situation is different, Crystal Dynamics reserves the right to object to any use of Crystal Dynamics Material.Crystal Dynamics (or its affiliates) may submit takedown requests to third parties hosting any such content. If Crystal Dynamics requests that you take down or delete a piece of Fan Content, you must promptly do so. Crystal Dynamics reserves the right to take legal action against you for misuse of Crystal Dynamics Material.
Ownership of Crystal Dynamics Content
As between you and Crystal Dynamics, all content from and related to the Crystal Dynamics Games (including the Crystal Dynamics Material) is and will be owned by Crystal Dynamics or its affiliates. This Policy does not grant you any proprietary rights in any Crystal Dynamics Material. Your use of the Crystal Dynamics Material is at your own risk; Crystal Dynamics does not offer any warranties.
Use of Your Fan Content
By making Fan Content, you agree to let everyone (including Crystal Dynamics) share and use your Fan Content without asking your permission and without compensation.
Finally, please note that we can’t address individual requests for clearance or questions, so please feel free to share this link with anyone requesting details about our policy.
Last Updated: 9/1/2023